Sunday, January 19, 2014

Favorite movies of 2013



#11 Monsters University - I love this franchise. It just appeals to the kid in all of us, while keeping the adult side of us entertained as well. Billy Crystal just kills it with his comedic delivery throughout. Art is my new role model. He made me belly laugh for about 10 minutes straight with one line! There are tons of this kind of movie out there, but most are not this entertaining for both kids and adults.


#10 Rush - I know nothing about (and care nothing about) Formula One racing, but this is truly a movie that anyone can enjoy. Why? Because it's not actually about the racing, but instead, about personality types. There is tons of automotive eye candy throughout too, in terms of the interesting way it was shot. I didn't have high hopes for this one, but I ended up really enjoying it, so if you feel the same way, give it a chance.


#9 Pacific Rim - The script doesn't offer anything new (or even particularly good) but that's not what this movie is about. It's pure spectacle, Godzilla-style. You can see where every penny of the budget for special effects went. Everything looks slick, has weight, and moves in a realistic way. If you like the idea of insanely large and detailed giant robots and monsters battling each other, this will entertain you. A home theater lover's wet dream.


#8 The Conjuring - James Wan has released a number of somewhat creepy horror movies in the last few years, but this is by far his best and scariest. The script is solid, but the quality acting from the four key cast members really makes this suspenseful. I found the ending to be a little anticlimactic, but I don't mind a film playing against my expectations if it's done in an enjoyable way. There are a few jump scares which I'm not a big fan of, but it doesn't go completely overboard with them like so many other horror films do. A minor nitpick: there is not a single conjuring in this entire film.


#7 Gravity - As a big fan of all things astronomy and space, I had mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I loved the scientific accuracy of an incident in space occurring in total silence. This, along with the stellar special effects, made it that much more terrifying and spectacular. Sandra Bullock did a great job. On the other hand, I found her character's somewhat forced sub-plot near the end and also George Clooney just playing 'George Clooney in space' to be inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the film, which knocks it down a few places on my list.


#6 Dark Skies - This is horror done right, except it's not traditional horror. It is the best alien abduction movie I've ever seen. J.K. Simmons only has a brief part, but his performance is what really makes this movie feel dreadfully believable. The 5.1 audio track is so unnerving that several times, I got goose bumps. The uncomfortable atmosphere and tension this movie builds is pitch-perfect. I was on the edge of my seat near the ending, and that rarely happens. Don't miss Dark Skies if you enjoy suspense and a more cerebral brand of horror.


#5 12 Years A Slave - Powerful stuff that takes you back in time to the very real horrors of the slavery era. Chiwetel Ejiofor has been one of my favorite actors for a while, and he does a fine job of carrying this film on his shoulders. The supporting cast is excellent as well, notably Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o. Everyone over the age of 10 should see this film, but because it is so realistic and disturbing, it's probably not something you're going to want to re-watch very frequently.


#4 Out of the Furnace - To be honest, this script is only average. However, the entire star-studded cast brings its A-game, and their outstanding performances elevate this into something special. Woody Harrelson really stands out, playing a role unlike anything he's ever done before. I'm glad that Christian Bale is done playing Batman so he can sink his teeth into more substantial roles like this. To its credit, this is a very ugly film, in the way it depicts absolute realism of economically depressed areas. I also found the score to be very enjoyable.


#3 Prisoners - Some of my favorite movies make you take a firm moral position when faced with a very difficult situation. Here, you are going to come down on one side or the other, and there are perfectly valid explanations for both viewpoints. This is one of the few movies where I found Jake Gyllenhaal to be enjoyable, and Hugh Jackman does a fine job as well. I would have written the ending a bit differently, but it's still pretty good. Just once, I'd like to see Maria Bello play a character that isn't broken down and sobbing because of a crisis (although she is great at it.)


#2 Dallas Buyer’s Club - Based on a true story, this is an absolutely inspiring tale, showing how a person is a capable of growing far beyond what you'd think is possible when you consider where he/she started. It's very nice to see Matthew McConaughey developing into such a great dramatic actor, after a long time of being the RomCom or slick lawyer guy. It also does a good job of showing what a corrupt organization the FDA is, and how it was in bed with big pharma even back then. (I experienced this myself when I had to import medicine for a rare medical problem because the only FDA-approved drug was completely unsafe.)


#1 Her - I love films that make you think, and I'll be thinking about this one for a long time. While it does raise some intriguing questions about the role of advancements in technology in our lives, the main focus is on human side of relationships. Her captures the essence of our emotions during a relationship in a very realistic, identifiable way. There is interesting use of color throughout the movie as well. Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (impressively, using only her voice) knock this one out of the park. Well done, Spike Jonze. The year's best film.



No comments:

Post a Comment